Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: An Earring Organizer

Another of my new year's resolutions is to be more organized. Sometimes there are those moments when you suddenly realize that the way you've been doing something for as long as you remember just isn't working well for you, and come to think of it, it really hasn't ever worked well for you. I had one of those moments when we were running late for Erik's work Christmas party. After quickly making dinner and showering and picking up the babysitter and making myself look presentable I needed just one last accessory, earrings,  before I could head out the door.  I reached in my jewelry box, rummaged around,  found the earring I wanted to wear, but not it's mate. I rummaged some more, untangled jumbles of wire and jewels, found other mateless possibilities, and finally gave up and went to the party with naked earlobes.

The next day I decided to make an earring holder. I'd seen them before somewhere, a flea market or craft show display perhaps - they were simply screens in a frame, perfect for keeping dangly earrings organized and easily accessible. I had a big wooden frame left over from the embroidery piece I turned into this doll. I didn't have a screen but I have a ton of fabric so I chose a vintage print with a loose weave that I could poke earrings through.

 

I ironed on some thin fusible Pellon to make it a little more sturdy.


Then I stapled it to the frame around the inside edges.


and trimmed the fabric and added a hanging wire.


And now, in seconds flat, I can grab my earrings and I'm out the door.

1 comment:

lisa {milkshake} said...

I love it! I am also hoping to be more organized this year. We'll see how that goes…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...